Abdelrahman Ibrahim Abushouk
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Abdelrahman I. Abushouk, MD, FESC I Email: Abdelrahman.email@example.com
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBCh), Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt (February 2017, Summa Cum Laude).
- June 2023 - Present: Internal Medicine Resident, Yale-New Haven Hospital, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT.
- 2020 – 2023: Research Fellow, Robert and Suzanne Tomsich Dept of Cardiovascular Medicine, Sydell and Arnold Miller Family Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute (HVTI), Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH.
- 2019 – 2020: Research Fellow at Division of Cardiology (PERFUSE Study Group), Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center & Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
- In structural heart interventions, my research assessed novel approaches in transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) as high valve implantation and bioprosthetic valve modification during valve-in-valve TAVI. For the first time, I tested the real-world feasibility of the novel transcatheter tricuspid repair/replacement interventions. Further, I investigated the short- and long-term outcomes of TAVI, MitraClip, and left atrial appendage closure (LAAC/Watchman) in patients with different comorbidities and risk categories (Octagenerians, cancer, CKD, and transplant recipients).
- In preventive cardiology, I led evidence synthesis projects to evaluate the benefits of statins and polypills in primary CVD prevention. Further, I completed a study from GBD data to measure the global burden of calcific aortic valve disease. In cardio-oncology, our team assessed the burden of cardiac tumors, cancer-related cardiac death, and underutilization of preventive cardiovascular measures in cancer patients.
- My research was cited in >30 National/International guidelines, drug updates, state policies, and more than 40 randomized clinical trials and patents. In addition, my research was featured in Nature Research, Science Magazine, Scientific American, MedicalXpress, Reuters Health, TCTMD, Cardiovascular News, MedPage Today, and Atlas of Science, among >2000 social media, blogs, and news outlets (according to altmetrics.com).
Awards, Grants, and Scholarships
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC), 2021 – Scientific Excellence Track. “FESC is a title of honor that is awarded to healthcare professionals who have made a significant contribution to cardiology”
- Collegiate, Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Honor Society ΣΞ} - Case Western Reserve University Chapter. Founded in 1886, Sigma Xi elects researchers of significant impact in their fields. It has 60,000 members worldwide, including >200 Nobel laureates.
- Cash Memorial Award: A Cleveland Clinic award established in memory of Joseph Cash, MD (Former GME chairman) for excellence in health outcomes research, presented at the Annual Education Awards Dinner, 2023.
- Young Investigator Award: Received at the European Society of Cardiology 2021 Congress (Clinical Cardiology Session). The abstract is now published under the Young Investigators in the European Heart Journal.
- ACC International Conferences Best Posters - American College of Cardiology Conference (Sep, 2017, Riyadh, KSA); a $5000 monetary award to attend the annual ACC scientific Sessions in Washington DC.
- Excellence and Scholastic Outstanding Achievement Award (For ranking among the top 1% in my MBBCh Degree Batch), Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Spilias N, Isogai T, et al. Three-year outcomes of balloon-expandable transcatheter aortic valve implantation according to annular size. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2023, 194,9-16. PMID: 36921423.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Abdelfattah OM, Gad MM, et al. Two-year outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve-in-valve replacement in degenerated surgical valves. Catheterization & Cardiovascular Interventions, 2022, 100(5),860-876. PMID: 36116028
- ABUSHOUK AI, Aglan A, Ashraf I, et al. Measured or predicted patient-prosthesis mismatch following aortic valve replacement. JACC Cardiovascular Interventions, 2023.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Abdelfattah O, Saad A, et al. Predictors of procedural success in patients with degenerated surgical valves undergoing transcatheter aortic valve-in-valve implantation. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 2021, 8, 718835. PMID: 34631823.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Abdelfattah O, Saad A, et al. Durability of bioprosthetic surgical aortic valves in patients who underwent transcatheter valve-in-valve implantation. The American Journal of Cardiology, 2022, 165, 132-133. PMID: 34879924.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Saad AM, Isogai T, et al. Long-term outcomes of transcatheter valve-in-valve replacement for failed aortic bioprosthesis: A meta-analysis. Catheterization & Cardiovascular Interventions, 2022, 99(4), 1370-1372. PMID: 33555123.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Abdelfattah OM (Joint first), Saad AM, et al. Impact of post-procedural length of stay on short-term outcomes and readmissions after TAVR and MitraClip. American Heart Journal Plus, 2022, 13, 100130.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Agrawal A, Hariri E, et al. Association between hematological parameters and outcomes following transcatheter aortic valve implantation at mid-term follow-up. Open Heart, 2022, 9:e002108. PMID: 36600647
- ABUSHOUK AI, Abdelfattah OM, Hassanein M, et al. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation outcomes in chronic kidney disease versus end-stage kidney disease. The American Journal of Cardiology, 2021, 143, 165-167. PMID: 33453172.
- Farwati M, Saad AM, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Short-term outcomes following urgent transcatheter edge-to-edge repair with MitraClip in cardiogenic shock: A population-based analysis. JACC Cardiovascular Interventions, 2021, 14(18), 2077-2078. PMID: 34332943.
- Abdelfattah OM, Saad AM, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Short-term outcomes of transcatheter aortic valve implantation versus surgical aortic valve replacement in kidney transplant recipients. The American Journal of Cardiology, 2021, 144, 83-90. PMID: 33383014.
- Sammour YM, Lak H, Chahine J, ABUSHOUK A, et al. Clinical and echocardiographic outcomes with new-onset left bundle branch block after SAPIEN-3 transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Catheterization & Cardiovascular Interventions, 2022, 101, 187-196. PMID: 36378620.
- Sammour Y, Lak H, Gajulapalli R, Chawla S, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Pacing-related differences after SAPIEN-3 TAVI clinical and echocardiographic correlates. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2023. PMID: 37137251
- Gamal A, Akleh S, Zaman A, ABUSHOUK A, Edwards R. Outcome of Direct Flow Medical vs Sapien 3 transcatheter aortic valve devices. Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, 2020, 13, 790-795. PMID: 31848880.
- Farwati M, Amin M, Isogai T, Saad A, ABUSHOUK AI, et al.. Short-Term outcomes following left atrial appendage closure in the very elderly: A population-based analysis. Journal of the American Heart Association, 2022, e024574. PMID: 35929467.
- Isogai T, Agrawal A, Saad AM, Shekhar S, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Periprocedural and short-term outcomes of percutaneous left atrial appendage closure according to type of atrial fibrillation. Journal of the American Heart Association, 2021, 10(22), e022124. PMID: 34729996.
- Sayed A, Almotawally S, Wilson K, Munir M, Bendary A, Ramzy A, Hirji S, ABUSHOUK AI. Minimally invasive surgery versus transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Open Heart, 2021 (8), e001535. PMID: 33455914.
- Elmaraezy A, Ismail A, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Efficacy and safety of transcatheter aortic valve replacement in aortic stenosis patients at low to moderate surgical risk: a comprehensive meta-analysis. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, 2017, 17(1), 234. PMID: 28836953.
- Abdelfattah O, ABUSHOUK AI, Elgendy IA, Elbadawi A, Puri R, Reed GW, Krishnaswamy A, Kapadia SR. Impact of implantation depth on transcatheter aortic valve implantation outcomes: A meta-analysis. JSCAI, 2022, 100450.
- Abdelfattah OM, Saad AM, Hisung I, ABUSHOUK AI, Gad MM, Okasha O, et al. Temporal trends of transcatheter edge-to-edge repair of the mitral valve short-term outcomes in the United States: Nationwide representative study. Structural Heart, 2021, 5(3), 279-286.
- Shekhar S, Ajay A, Agarwal A, Kumar A, Kaur M, Isogai T, Saad A, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Radiation reduction in a modern catheterization laboratory: A single-center experience. Catheterization & Cardiovascular Interventions, 2022, 100(4), 575-584. PMID: 36073017.
- Abdelmoneim I, Sadek A, Mosaad MA, ..., ABUSHOUK AI. Diagnostic accuracy of multi-slice computed tomography in identifying lesion characteristics in coronary total occlusion. International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging, 2018, 34(11), 1813-1818. PMID: 29948635.
- Shaheen M, Mokarrab M, Youssef A, Aref M, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Physiological evaluation of the provisional side-branch intervention strategy for bifurcation lesions using instantaneous wave-free ratio. Indian Heart Journal, 2018, 70(Supp 3), S254-S258. PMID: 30595269.
- Bendary A, Magdy M, Mady A, ABUSHOUK AI, Salem M. Nightmare in interventional cardiology: type-V coronary perforation during primary percutaneous coronary intervention in a patient with anterior ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Coronary Artery Disease, 2020, 31(6), 567-568. PMID: 32271237.Outcomes of Direct Flow Medical vs Sapien 3 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Devices. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2019. PMID: 31848880.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Sayed A, Munir M, et al. Fixed-dose combination (Polypill) for cardiovascular disease prevention: A meta-analysis. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2022, 63(3), 440-449. PMID: 35613977.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Yunusa I, Elmehrath AO, et al. Quality assessment of published systematic reviews in high impact cardiology journals: Revisiting the evidence pyramid. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 2021, 9, 671569. PMID: 34179136.
- Abdelfattah OM, Martinez M, Sayed A, ElRefaei M, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Temporal and global trends of the incidence of sudden cardiac death in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. JACC Clinical Electrophysiology, 2022, 8(11), 1417-1427. PMID: 36424010.
- Sayed A, Munir M, Addison D, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. The underutilization of preventive cardiovascular measures in patients with Cancer. An analysis of the behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2011-2022. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, 2023. PMID: 37158488
- ABUSHOUK AI, Saad AM (Joint first), Al-Husseini MJ, et al. Characteristics, survival and incidence rates and trends of primary cardiac malignancies in the United States. Cardiovascular Pathology, 2018, 33, 27-31. PMID: 29414429.
- Gad MM, Saad AM, Al-Husseini MJ, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Temporal trends, ethnic determinants, and short-term and long-term risk of cardiac death in cancer patients: a cohort study. Cardiovascular Pathology, 2019, 43, 107147. PMID: 31494524.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Ali AA, Abdou A, et al. Rhythm versus rate control for atrial fibrillation: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Biomedical and Pharmacology, 2018, 11(2), 609-620.
- Baratloo A, Rahimpour L, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Effects of telestroke on thrombolysis times and outcomes: A meta-analysis. Prehospital Emergency Medicine, 2018, 22(4), 472-484. PMID: 29345529.
- Awad K, Mohammed M, Zaki MM, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Association of statin use in older people primary prevention group with risk of cardiovascular events and mortality: a meta-analysis of observational studies. BMC Medicine, 2021, 19(1), 139. PMID: 34154589.
- Omar NE, El-Fass KA, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Diagnosis and management of hematological adverse events induced by immune checkpoint inhibitors: A systematic review. Frontiers in Immunology, 2020, 11, 1354. PMID: 33193289.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Ismail A, Salem AMA, Afifi AM, Abdel-Daim MM. Cardioprotective mechanisms of phytochemicals against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 2017, 90, 935-946. PMID: 28460429.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Salem AMA, Saad A, et al. Mesenchymal stem cell therapy for doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy: Potential mechanisms, governing factors, and implications of the heart stem cell debate. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 2019, 10, 635. PMID: 31258475.
- ABUSHOUK AI, El-Husseny MWA, Bahbah EI, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors as therapeutic targets for heart failure. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, 2017, 95, 692-700. PMID: 28886529.
- Fouda S, Kelany M, Moustafa N, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Tobacco smoking in Egypt: a scoping literature review of its epidemiology and control measures. WHO Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, 2018, 24(2), 198-215. PMID: 29748949.
- Ghanem E, Elgazar M, Oweda K, Tarek H, Assaf F, Elgebaly A, ABUSHOUK AI. Awareness of basic life support among Egyptian medical students; a cross-sectional study. Emergency, 2018, 6(1), e36. PMID: 30009238.
- Sayed AK, Se'eda H, Eltewacy NK, El Sherif L, ..., Alharbi SA, ABUSHOUK AI. Awareness of rheumatic heart disease in Egypt: A national multicenter study. Journal of Cardiovascular Development and Disease, 2021, 8(9), 108. PMID: 34564126.
- Roth GA, Mensah GA, Johnson CO..., ABUSHOUK AI, Acharya D, Adair T, ..., Murray C, Fuster V. Global burden of cardiovascular diseases and risk factors, 1990–2019: Update from the GBD 2019 Study. JACC, 2020, 76(25), 2982–3021. PMID: 33309175.
- Vos T, Lim SS, Afshin A, ..., ABUSHOUK AI, ..., Murray CL. Global burden of 369 diseases and injuries in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. The Lancet, 2020, 396(10258), 1204-1222. PMID: 33069326.
- Murray CL, Bisignano C, Cruz J, ..., ABUSHOUK AI, ..., Lim SS. Global burden of 87 risk factors in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. The Lancet, 2020, 396(10258), 1223-1249. PMID: 33069327.
- Feigin VL, Stark BA, Johnson CO, Roth GA, .., ABUSHOUK AI, .., Murray CL. Global, regional, and national burden of stroke and its risk factors, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the GBD Study 2019. The Lancet Neurology, 2021, 20(10), 795-820. PMID: 34487721.
- Cousin E, Schmidt MI, Ong KL, Lozano R, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Burden of diabetes and hyperglycemia in adults in the Americas, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, 2022, 22. PMID: 35850129.
- Haakenstad A, Irvine CMS, Knight M, Bintz C, …., ABUSHOUK AI, Adebayo OM, ..., Lim SS, Murray CL, Lozano R. Measuring the availability of human resources for health and its relationship to universal health coverage for 204 countries and territories from 1990 to 2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. The Lancet, 2022, 399(10341), 2129-2154. PMID: 35617980.
- Schaeffer LE, Lazzar-Atwood A, Lu D, ..., ABUSHOUK AI, ...., Ziapour A. Anemia prevalence in women of reproductive age in low- and middle-income countries between 2000 and 2018. Nature Medicine, 2021, 27(10), 1761-1782. PMID: 34642490.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Duc NM. Curing neurophobia in medical schools: evidence-based strategies. Medical Education Online, 2016, 21, 32476. PMID: 27680578.
- Masoud AT, Zaazouee MS, Elsayed S,…., ABUSHOUK AI. KAP-COVID GLOBAL: a multinational survey of the levels and determinants of public knowledge, attitudes and practices towards COVID-19. BMJ Open, 2021, 11(2), e043971. PMID: 33622949.
- ABUSHOUK AI, Hatata AN, Omran IM, et al.. Attitudes and perceived barriers among medical students towards clinical research: A cross-sectional study in an Egyptian medical school. Journal of Biomedical Education, 2016 (7), 5490575.
- Assar A, Abdelraoof MI, Abdel-Maboud M, ...., ABUSHOUK AI, Aleya L, Abdel-Daim M. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of Egypt's future physicians towards antimicrobial resistance (KAP-AMR study): a multicenter cross-sectional study. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2020, 27(17), 21292-21298. PMID: 32270452.
- Maina MB, Ahmad U, Ibrahim HA, Hamidu SK, Nasr FE, Salihu AT, ABUSHOUK AI, et al. Two decades of neuroscience publication trends in Africa. Nature Communications, 2021, 12(1), 3429. PMID: 34103514.